Legal Writing & Editing | Legal Research | Project Management | Data Analysis | Blog Writing
Social Networking | Web Analytics | Staff Development | Supervision | Interviewing
Pitching Stories | Podcasting | Daily News Reporting | Writing | Fact-Checking
ABA Journal – Chicago, IL
Assistant Managing Editor (2017-present)
Legal Affairs Writer (2013-2017)
- Oversee the award-winning “Business of Law” front-of-book department, which includes legal technology, law firms, marketing, wellness, innovation within the legal industry and many others. Duties include pitching, assigning, editing, and reporting stories and columns, as well as long-term planning and budgeting.
- Manage team of staff reporters and freelance writers.
- Pitch, assign and edit features, short stories, op-ed columns, statistical analyses and special series for both magazine and web. Recent features include an analysis of bad, sleazy and immoral lawyers in pop culture, practical tips for people starting their own law practice, and music that changed the law.
- Plan and host episodes of the ABA Journal: Legal Rebels Podcast. Recent episodes include a look at how technology can improve immigration policy and practice, an app that de-escalates tension between police officers and passengers during traffic stops, and the future of work-from-home policies at law firms.
- Supervise and manage two award-winning ABA Journal franchises: State of the Legal Profession, an annual statistical-driven examination of the legal industry, and Legal Rebels, an annual group feature spotlighting innovative individuals and groups changing the practice of law.
- Lead and direct coverage of ABA Techshow, one of the largest and most important legal tech conferences in the country. Assign and edit stories from reporters covering the show.
Lead Reporter, Law Technology News (2013)
Staff Reporter, The American Lawyer (2010-2013)
- Wrote and reported daily web stories, breaking news, short magazine pieces and features on topics including business of law, e-discovery, cybersecurity, complex litigation, mergers and acquisitions and law firm culture. Work also published in Corporate Counsel, The Am Law Daily, The National Law Journal and The New York Law Journal.
Articles published in The Huffington Post, The Utica Observer Dispatch, The Columbia Journalist, Amherst Magazine, Sportslens (f/k/a Soccerlens) and The Berkshire Eagle.
Nixon in New York: How Wall Street Helped Richard Nixon Win the White House (Fairleigh Dickinson University Press, 2018)
- Wrote the first book to take a deep dive into Richard Nixon’s legal career and how it helped prepare him for his victorious 1968 Presidential campaign.
Bronx County District Attorney’s Office, Bronx, NY
Assistant District Attorney (2004-2007)
- Drafted criminal complaints, interviewed police officers and civilian witnesses, arraigned cases, answered motions, conducted hearings, bench trials, grand jury proceedings and jury trials. Researched and argued issues never before litigated in the Bronx.
Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism. New York, NY
Masters of Science, 2010
- Magazine concentration with coursework in multimedia, audio, photo and video skills, as well as intensive study in the fields of business reporting, national politics and editorial writing.
- In-class honors: Covering National Politics, Business of Journalism.
Tulane University School of Law. New Orleans, LA
Juris Doctorate, 2004
- Assistant Executive Editor, Tulane Journal of International and Comparative Law.
- Moot Court – Interschool Trial Team.
- Tulane Domestic Violence Clinic. Served as Student Attorney representing indigent victims of domestic violence in civil/family law matters.
- Research Intern, Orleans Parish District Attorney’s Office.
Amherst College. Amherst, MA
Bachelor of Arts, History, 2000
- Senior History Thesis: “The Wall Comes Tumbling Down: German Reunification and the End of the Cold War” – Awarded Departmental Distinction.
- Wrote numerous published political articles for Amherst College Capitol Pages.
- Co-class secretary in charge of writing quarterly “Class Notes” alumni column for Amherst Magazine (2010-2015).
- American Society of Business Publication Editors (ASBPE) Azbee Awards:
- National Gold Award for Special Section (The American Lawyer/Litigation Supplement) (2011).
- Regional Gold Award (“Resistance Redux“) for Group Profile and Regional Silver Award (“Ad It Up“) for General Interest Feature (2018).
- National Gold Award for Feature Series (“Digital Dangers”) (2019).
- National Gold Award for Best Data Journalism (“State of the Profession”) (2020).
- National Gold Award for Group Profile (Legal Rebels – “It Takes a Team”) and Regional Silver Award for Trade Show/Conference Coverage. (2021).
- National Bronze Award for Regular Print Department (“Business of Law”), National Bronze Award for Group Profile (“Legal Rebels: Courting Change”), National Silver Award (“State of the Profession: View From the Top”) (2022).
- National Bronze Award for Regular Print Department (“Business of Law”), National Silver Award for Group Profile (“Legal Rebels: No Turning Back“) (2023).
- Chicago Headline Club, Peter Lisagor Awards:
- Adobe InCopy, Acrobat and Photoshop
- AP and Chicago Style
- Final Cut Pro and iMovie
- Legal Research Databases
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Podcasting Software and Equipment
- Social Networking Platforms
- Web Analytics
- Wordpress and Other Blogging Software